Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Ora et Labora Part 2

Regularly folk ask me to pray for them in the midst of many different circumstances. Some are dealing with personal crises. Others are trying to discern God's leading into new aspects of their lives. I say I will uphold them in prayer, and I do. I find, though, that in the midst of the busyness of church life they often end up on my "must do" list. I end up feeling guilty that I don't pray more, especially for those who are at their wits end.

While I was on retreat last week I found that names were surfacing without bidding. In the solitude they moved from "must do" status to "want to do." Rather than being crammed into my schedule, prayer for others was part of the upwelling of God's presence. I could put down the book or professional journal I was reading and ask God to be with the person whose situation spoke to me.

I can't always go away for these wider pools of prayer but I can attempt to create more modest ripples in the everyday work of the community.

No comments: