Saturday, July 21, 2007

Planet Ark


Noah's Ark -- Edward Hicks

While I was washing the dishes at lunch I listened to the CBC radio program Quirks and Quarks. I enjoy the program even though half the time the discussion amongst scientists sails over my head. I am comforted that these clever men and women seem to have a clue about their varying subjects.

On today's show (a repeat?) Bob MacDonald interviewed Dr. Robert Shapiro, from New York University. He and his colleagues have formed the Alliance to Rescue Civilization (ARC). They want to save samples of just about everything on Earth and store it on the moon in the event we mess up the planet to the point where it is unliveable. It's not a very pleasant prospect, but possible. The task of gathering all this material is daunting and far more challenging than gathering creatures two-by-two. It is essentially "down-loading" a planet's DNA and culture.

I find it interesting that the story of Noah and his ark, the wooden rescue boat for all creatures just won't go away. Most biblical scholars consider it to be myth rather than history, but the great myths of civilization tell us something that we need to know in story form. Some things are God's truth, even when they didn't happen in space and time.

In Genesis 9, after the flood subsided, God tells Noah that this sort of destruction will never occur again at God's instigation. The story doesn't say that we can't do this to ourselves. I hope we "have a prayer" and wisen up. I hope we experience a rainbow.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Have you seen "Evan Almighty?" You have a picture of it on your blog, it was interesting to watch and some very interesting statements were made. In the end it is man's actions (greed, lack of responsibility) which causes the flood. Thus an example of what you are saying. I remember thinking when watching it, wow I need to remember that phrase, needless to say it has gone. I'll have to wait until it comes out in video to get those words of wisdom back.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Nancy,

I haven't seen it so I too will wait for the video!