Saturday, September 29, 2007

Keeping Abreast of Worship

There was a report on television this evening on a continent-wide Breast feeding Awareness event. This morning at 11 am women across North America breast fed their little ones. Many gatherings were organized, some in public places, to remind passers-by that breastfeeding is natural -- some would say God-given.

It caught my attention because recently a young mom in the congregation asked me what is "kosher" when she comes to church with her newborn. Is it okay to breastfeed?

It was the first time I have been asked this practical question in 28 years of ministry. All three of our children were breastfed and we felt that this was the healthiest option, not to mention portable! My answer to the mom was, feed away.

We set up barriers to the presence of our young families and wonder why they don't come to worship. I admit that some Sundays I am doing all I can to hold my train of thought when babies cry and moms move around. I remind myself that I would rather experience this any day than the solemn silence of a sanctuary without children.

2 comments:

Cam said...

The santuary on a sunday morning is just about the only place I won't feed my son. But that is out of respect for those around me (they aren't snacking, and feeding usually involves a good burp which isn't polite in church no matter what your age)
It's really easy to slip down the back stairs to the nursary.

David Mundy said...

In some cultures a resounding belch is an indication of satisfaction for a meal.

If worship is supposed to feed us...

It really needs to be up to the mom and this sounds like the solution which suits you and your cute little burper.