Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ash Wednesday Snow Day


Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness...Create in me a clean heart O God, and put a new and right spirit within me... Psalm 51

Apparently God has a sense of humour, even on the solemn occasion of Ash Wednesday. The snow storm has begun and it is supposed to worsen through the day, so for the first time ever I have decided to cancel the service. Both our speaker, Rev. Cathy, and our organist, Doug, would be travelling in miserable conditions. The humour? On Ash Wednesday we read Psalm 51 which tells us that our sins are "outed," forgiven, and washed whiter than snow. Then we can start afresh.

The funny stuff continues. I was going to suggest that we follow the example of a congregation which made the commitment a couple of years ago to give up complaining for Lent. They wore purple wrist bands as a reminder, and have been selling them to others since then -- more than two million! Let's work on the joy and gladness aspect of our lives in these contemplative days of the Lenten season.

This will be a special challenge to all of us today as we shovel, but it's tempting every day to grumble and groan. It's one thing to give up sweets or television for Lent. It's much harder to relinquish the ingrained habit of complaining to live with an "attitude of gratitude."
Check out this BBC introduction to Lent. http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/

No comments: