Sunday, April 13, 2008

God Restores My Soul

At the end of worship this Good Shepherd Sunday I made a difficult announcement to the St. Paul's congregation. I told them I am going on restorative leave, a medical leave opportunity provided through the benefits program of the United Church. After struggling through recent months with physical problems which, in turn, have affected my emotional and spiritual well-being I agreed to this leave. My physician, the conference personnel minister, and the ministry and personnel committee of the congregation have all been very supportive.

I am not the Good Shepherd, but I try to be a good sheepdog to my flock. I realize that I can't be as effective as I want to be without stepping away from pastoral responsibility for a time. We sang Psalm 23 with its promise that God will restore our souls, and that is what I will seek.

What does that mean for my blog? I'm not really sure. Please check in and see whether I'm reflecting on my restorative time. I can do so from home and probably will along the way.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

We will pray for you and hope that you will find a healing circle in which you can be restored. Healing circles will be formed and you will be in many people's prayers. Take care of yourself.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Nancy

Lynnof60 said...

I don't know if it was my imagination but from where I stood Psalm 23 was sung with an unusual amount of feeling...it was quite moving given the circumstances.
Perhaps it was the beginning of your healing.
Sometimes we just have to 'step away' in order to have clarity. I probably don't need to tell you that - you've figured it out.
I will miss your presence but will take comfort in knowing that you are on the right journey...be well.

David Mundy said...

You're right Lynn -- people love that hymn for its tune, its words, and its associations.

So far I'm just wired, but I'll get there with God's grace.