Thursday, May 01, 2008

Miraculous

How would you define a miracle? The expression "it's a miracle!" gets bandied about in both religious and secular circles --even furniture store ads-- but what does it mean? When we speak of miracles we are usually referring to something out of the ordinary, beyond what we would consider the fundamental laws of physics and biology. As Christians we might say that God is able to intervene in those established patterns to bring about an unexpected outcome. There are many examples of the miracles performed by Jesus in the gospels. We could argue that the resurrection itself is a miracle.

I have been thinking about all this since the collapse of a church floor in British Columbia last weekend. About a thousand young people were in the church for a Christian rock concert. It's likely that youthful exuberance brought the house down. Fortunately no one died is this serious mishap. Or miraculously no one died, if we use the word that the pastor employed to describe the outcome.

Here's the thing. Why would God intervene to save young Christian rock enthusiasts in B.C. but not Christian children have been orphaned by AIDS in Africa? Why are some soldiers spared in battle and others aren't, even though parents of all concern pray for safety?

As a pastor I pray for those afflicted by disease and I have even prayed for miracles, but I have no idea why some prayers appear to be answered and others seem to go unheeded. The other day my dear wife's workplace was destroyed by fire, even thought the work she and others does is vital for the well-being of vulnerable people. It hasn't occurred to us that this was a sign of God's displeasure.

I'm not criticizing the comments of the B.C. pastor, only wondering still, after all these years, how we take the term miracle seriously. I would appreciate your thoughts and observations.

7 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

I have struggled with this as well. Could it be as simple as "the luck of the draw"? When people say they have been 'blessed' with good fortune I think "well, how come you?"
If we are 'lucky' enough to come through this life with few battle scars it's not because we are more blessed. If on the other hand we have been nicked and bruised one too many times it's not because we are not worthy. In both cases we need to say a prayer of "thank you for walking with me".

David Mundy said...

Thanks Lynn. I had concluded that miracles were a bit too risky for folk to tackle.

You bring up the challenge. If it is simply luck, then where is the loving,caring God who is our parent?

Yet we don't really want God to be the puppet-master, nor do we expect preferential treatment, especially when life is so good for many of us in North America already.

I like the idea of the God who is the constant companion, even in the dark days.

Lynnof60 said...

Is this one of those "there's no right answer" questions? Who knows? I agree, the "loving, caring God" is there to pick up the pieces when we falter - to give support in our times of need - and to love us no matter what. Gosh, it sounds like kind of a thankless job. A good title for a sermon. God's Job Description. You can use it if you like!

Laura said...

I weigh in late but have been thinking about miracles. The comments of this pastor reminded me of the prayers of my childhood when I thought if I prayed hard enough and behaved my "wishlist of prayers and miracles' would selectively be rewarded to me. Life experience changed my prayer process and my idea of miracles. I don't see miracles anymore as big interventions that save us from our worst fears of ill health and harm. God's miracles for me now our found in universal feelings...feelings of wonder and connection. Inexplicable to me by anything other than that God is near, like Lynn says, walking with us, if we are willing to offer our hand....

David Mundy said...

Thanks Lynn and Laura for these additional comments. As the creed says "we are not alone."

Deborah Laforet said...

Last Sunday, my reflection was on prayer, specifically intercessory prayer. I asked the same questions. Does God intervene, and if so, why does God intervene for some and not for others? I read a quote about spiritual energy that surrounds us, the energy of the Spirit. Our prayers can add to this energy. Although prayer may not cause God to intervene in our lives, the prayerful energy can have be a powerful influence.

It is a powerful topic and I found many people were very engaged with this message. As for miracles, I also have a difficult time believing that God intervenes for some and not others. There are other churches that have collapsed and killed people so why would God intervene in this case. When I see someone who has worked hard to turn their life around, or a community that comes together in a time of crisis (as I hope is happening for Bethesday House), that is when I see miracles.

Lynnof60 said...

Deb...well put!! I too believe that the actions of people during times of need are the true miracle! That is God's work!