Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Yesterday I walked through the cold and windy downtown of Bowmanville to another church for an anniversary lunch. I went along with Rev. Cathy and Beth, our Parish Nurse, to celebrate four years of the mental health drop-in centre. Before I said the blessing I thanked the patrons who always greet me warmly when I'm there, or when I see them on the street. I let them know that their friendliness often makes my day.

I sat with three people I didn't recognize but who were quite chatty. Even though two of them were ragged looking, to put it kindly, they were ready for conversation and we even joked together. Every time I take part in one of the events I am touched by the sincerity and openness of folk who are at the edges of our society. It could be argued that they don't have a lot to celebrate or much reason to be trusting but they defy conventional wisdom.

Yesterday a retired member of St. Paul's was there serving food as she does faithfully from week to week. Once a month a group of eight to ten is fed by our U.C.W. as part of the Lunch Out program at St. Paul's. What a wonderful and largely unrecognized ministry.

On the other side at the lunch table was the co-ordinator of this program and the other similar initiatives in Oshawa and Whitby. We talked about how the Bowmanville ministerial might get involved in a literacy program they hope to get off the ground. Many of their clients have limited or no reading skills and I suggested congregations could recruit volunteers for an hour of reading and basic teaching.

Much of the good done by churches and church members flies under the radar but I believe our community is a better place for it.

1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

These are the moments within the church that are truly Christ-centered.