Tuesday, December 23, 2008

God Bless Us, Everyone!


I think my favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Carol starring the incomparable Alistair Sim, although the Muppet version stands up nicely.


It is a story of the transformation of an angry misanthrope to a joyful philanthrope. Sim is wonderful in the role of Ebenezer Scrooge. I was listening to the CBC program The Current this morning and a neuroscientist was interviewed, talking about the buzz we get from generosity. The brain actually changes as a result of a generous act. So generosity can be the entirely legal drug of choice for Christians!

Last evening a group of our young people went with Rev. Cathy to the seniors community nearby and sang carols to some of our members who can't get out, as well as a few who can. The seniors loved it, and so did the kids. Wonderful.

I hope that this is a time when you are deeply aware of the extravagant love of God in Christ. Even though we might exclaim "you shouldn't have!" that love is transformational.


I notice that the blog responses have dropped off as we get to "crunch time" around Christmas, so I will take a break for a few days and resume when the dust or the snowflakes settle. I hope you have a truly meaningful Christmas, whatever your circumstances, wherever you are.


As Tiny Tim said "God bless us, everyone!"

5 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

Just because we aren't responding doesn't mean we're not reading (well, I can only speak for myself) David, we wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year...I look forward to your 2009 blogs!

Nancy said...

Ditto what Lynn says. I have read daily. I won't be reading however for the next while as dial up is brutal in the country!! Merry Christmas to you and your family. Nice to have them all home! Cheers.

Laurie said...

Ditto what Lynn says!My favourite Christmas Carol is with Patrick Stewart. I watch all 3 with my son every year. Favourite Christmas movie is Joyeux Noel. Merry Christmas to you and yours'.

David Mundy said...

Thanks, folks for the good wishes.
I have really enjoyed your observations and contributions this Fall.

I hope your Christmas celebrations are safe, joyful, and Christ-filled.

Deborah Laforet said...

The boys and I were invited to go to our seniors' home called the Lodge for some Christmas singing, so yesterday, Evan grabbed his piano music and Joshua grabbed his fiddle, and off we went. The seniors were very appreciative of having the kids there and loved to hear them sharing their talents. Luckily, the boys were very eager to do it. They each played three pieces and I think they would have done more if asked. It felt like we were giving, and it does feel good to do that. No wonder Christmas gives such a feeling of euphoria to some.

I am also reading, although I tend to miss a few day and then catch up. I wish all of the blog readers and the blog writer a very Merry Christmas and many blessings into the new year.