Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Kiss


This morning I began a series of Lenten sermons on the covenants or promises of the bible. The Older Testament readings for the next few weeks will remind us of promises made with Noah (Rainbow), Abraham and Sarah (Many Nations,) Moses (Ten Commandments) and Jeremiah (New Covenant of the Heart.)

In today's message I emphasized the promises we make by "marrying" a couple at the front of the church, taking them through the vows of a wedding ceremony. At the end I invited the couple who were "voluntold" to participate that they could kiss one another, which they did with a lingering smack!

I thought about this exhibition of affection in church. Sure we see couples kiss during real wedding ceremonies, but when have you ever seen a couple kiss in church at any other time? I don't think I have. A few weeks ago during another series I spoke about the importance of honouring the bodies God has given us, and the physical expression of our bodily nature. It was not my intention to follow up on the theme with what happened today, but it was a lovely, promising moment, sealed with a kiss. Some folk may have felt a little uneasy, but no one scolded me afterward.

The painting above is by Austrian artist Gustav Klimt and is called .The Kiss. It was painted in 1898.

2 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

The image is a beautiful one.

Yesterday, a woman from my congregation said that after worship, her husband had kissed her. She mockingly gasped and said, "Mom would never approve!" Kissing in church...an expression of love in church...what could be better?

David Mundy said...

Hey, I feel a trend coming on!