Monday, July 27, 2009

Targetting Jesus



Most of us would immediately identify this image as a representation of Jesus, gold-leaf halo and all. What isn't as evident is the source of the dark spots which outline the features. The artist, Victor Mitic is a forty-year-old Toronto artist who takes his images to a rifle range and completes them by blasting away.

Mitic is not trying to be sacrilegious. In fact he is an Orthodox Christian who wants to subvert the negative use and notion of guns by wielding them as paintbrushes for creativity. Outrage has been expressed by some because of this work and other religious subjects.

I think these paintings are provocative in a positive way. So much religious art is maudlin and second-rate. Sometimes we need to be pushed out of conventional ways of thinking and feeling. Obviously Mitic is not attempting to be disrespectful but he wants us to wake up and consider who Jesus is for us.

What do you think? A challenging image or a candidate for the garbage can?

5 comments:

Laura said...

I am no art expert but the gun blasted portrait of Jesus does nothing for me...I'd say I am somewhat offended by the method, which probably adds to its lack of appeal for me. I do like the vibrant art you included a few blogs ago about helping our neighbours, though.

Just catching up... and your holiday looked and sounded quite wonderful. The seashore has such a draw.

On rainbows...we saw a glorious rainbow last week while camping on the eastern shores of Lake Ontario. It was a sunny afternoon,no rain in sight,which added to its wonder.

On bread....our girls would relate to your poem of a few days back. They declare bread their favourite food. Part of their love of holidays, like last week, is the treat of "real" bread, as they call it....refined, soft and white....and now its back home to boring old brown...although after reading your blog, I will attempt to look at even boring old brown bread with new eyes.

Deborah Laforet said...

I have to admit that I was also turned off when I read that this art was made with guns. I won't say it isn't art though. Art has so many different expressions and sometimes I find the best kind of art is that which challenges me.

Laurie said...

I was fascinated with the picture. I wonder how many times it took to get each bullet hole correct. I agree that a lot of religious art is second rate.
Victor Mitic's art makes people react, which is what art is suppose to do. Check out his picture titled "Screw Harper" It got a laugh out of me.

Ian said...

If I keep an open mind, I can see how this could be cool.

Mind you, we've all got a problem if dude starts waving his 'brush' around, Jackson Pollack style.

;)

David Mundy said...

This is the wonderful thing about art. One image can evoke so much and the reaction is often visceral. There is a lot of art that I wouldn't want in my living room but I would go to a gallery to see it. I appreciate Mitic's painting because of the juxtaposition of the Prince of Peace with the many violent acts perpetrated in Christ's name.

We can all give the artist credit for marksmanship!

Laura, I think they call it Wonderbread because it's a wonder that kids love it so much. Our children thought it was a treat even though their mom was a breadmaker.