Monday, September 20, 2010

Looking Outward


Yesterday marked the thirtieth anniversary of Terry Fox's remarkable run for cancer, the disease which cut that cross-country journey short and took his life. Tens of thousands of Canadians participated in events, including a strong contingent from St. Paul's. Thanks to the organization and exhortation of couple Brian and Helen 39 people participated, our largest team yet. In their family three generations were involved, and in many other households it was parents and children who took part. Because this group goes before church we could acknowledge and congratulate their participation in worship.

It seems to me that Christian community not only gives us the opportunity to publicly encourage activities which require a degree of personal sacrifice and commitment but to pass this on from generation to generation. This is no small thing in a culture which has become increasingly more individualistic. It also helps us see that we are meant to be engaged with the broader community, not just wrapped up in our own internal concerns. I think that part of the health of St. Paul's is that despite the challenges we are facing, along with so many other mainline church congregations, we have people who choose to look outward. I admire so many of them.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I read a survey recently around financial stewardship, and it reflected parental example (passing down through the generations, as you said) as one of the strongest influences affecting our own generosity. Although it is interesting to see how different siblings, raised by the same example, respond to life.
My parents were/are grand examples...if we heard it once we heard it a thousand times "you get out of life, what you put in to it" and although we rolled our eyes..it is true...a generous spirit reaps much.
PS Yukon the dog will happily take the honour of the 40th St Paul'er walking for Terry. He's still proudly wearing his ribbon.

IanD said...

We did the Fox Walk in Oshawa this year in memory of my "Unkle Dave" who was felled by cancer in July.

As my crew toured along the path in wonderful, early morning weather, I was struck by your point, David: in the age of individualism, it was exciting to see so many people pulling for the collective.

On Monday, well in advance of our school's Walk, I showed two of our intermediate classes the 2002 documentary "The Greatest Canadian" featuring an hour-long segment on Terry Fox. I talked about what real heroism is (as embodied in Terry and his mission) and urged the kids to move away from the kind of hero worship we engage in with respect to celebrities and professional athletes these days.

At the end of the class, the kids were rapt and I left feeling as though I had passed on a little of that 30 year old message myself.

A great couple of days.

David Mundy said...

I think schools have been effective in this regard Ian, although churches have the opportunity for continuity throughout the year and across generations.

I agree Laura, that generosity is both taught and caught across generations.

My apologies to Yukon!