Friday, May 17, 2013

Grave Realities


A friend who is resourceful and clever with his hands told us recently that when he retires he plans to build his own casket and another for his wife. I know he can do so from the standpoint of craftsmanship and I applaud his willingness to use this opportunity to ponder his own mortality. I told him that he could probably start a business for those who want a simpler alternative. I like the look of the one in the photo.

His comments made me think of a story I read earlier this year of a 54-year-old man who was buried in the casket he made. He was unemployed and sick and didn't want to burden his elderly parents with the costs of his funeral. So he put together his own burial box.

Both our friend and the fellow in the story are and were Christians, so probably receive comfort from the resurrection promise. Everyone dies though, and even the prettiest casket can't mask that eventuality. If our friend does build his own I'll have to ask whether it is a meditative exercise, or whether he just chooses not to go too far down that road.

A number of years ago I went on retreat at a Benedictine monastery in New Brunswick and one of the elderly brothers had just died. One of the other monks built his simple casket and it sat at the front of the chapel for three days, all through the worship offices. It did make me think about death, but not in a morbid way. It was actually quite comforting in its simplicity.

Are you "creeped out" at the notion of someone building his or her own coffin? Are you reasonably reconciled to your own demise? Would you be okay with a home-made casket, or even prefer it?

It's Pentecost this Sunday. What about the Jewish roots and expression of this feast day? http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2013/05/first-fruits-of-pentecost.html

3 comments:

Laura said...

Having just recently experienced the "casket showroom" at our local funeral home, it did get me thinking. So many important decisions to be made at the time of a death, yet I couldn't put any energy into the decision around a burial vessel because I couldn't sense any consequence good or bad, one way or another stemming from that decision. I suppose environmental impact and legislation did influence us....and the practical nature of the deceased .("don't let them upsell you"was written into Dad's instructions,filed away to help
us maneuver the difficult time and make good decisions)
We joked though, as we perused the casket choices,
that we were surprised Dad hadn't built his own casket
with leftover lumber. We joked, not knowing it really was
an option.
As you say, it would have to be a contemplative
process and I know my Dad had spent time in that
contemplation and prepared much of his own funeral,
even as he lived in good health. Building his own
casket,although practical and cost efficient, two notions
of importance in how he lived, must have crossed a line
that consciously or subconsciously he didn't choose
to tread, and I get that. Not denial, I don't think....maybe even because that aspect of death didn't
matter enough.....which strikes true with me.....but I admire any who are able to face death in whatever practical ways work for them......it seems to lead towards a chance at a good and complete ending to the story of their life.

Laurie said...

My brother is making our mother's coffin. We joke he should start now and she can use it for a coffee table. The price of coffins is so high. Mom's will be made out of old church pews from Salem church. I have heard of people being buried in pianos and cars.

Judy said...

Cremation and burial of ashes in a simple container are what I have opted for....money that might have been spent on an expensive casket will go to favourite charities (including my church) and service club activities.