Friday, August 29, 2014

Objectified

 
Okay, there is no denying that Sofia Vergara, the highest paid actress on television is, um, statuesque, but what was going on at the Emmys the other night? While some dude from the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (oh give me a break) flapped his gums Vergara stood on a rotating pedestal, a Lazy Sofia if you will, and twirled. I didn't watch the show but apparently he said "blah, blah, blah." Who actually paid attention to what he was saying?
 
After the show a lot of people wondered what was going on here, although others thought it was great. Vergara told critics to relax, it was all in good fun. Ya, well, did I mention she is the highest paid woman on TV? This seemed to be the height of cynicism: "tonight, ladies and gentlemen we will shamelessly objectify an obviously beautiful woman and we don't expect you to take the academy seriously in any way."
 
While this moment was ridiculous,  the MTV awards the previous evening were arguably far more sexist and revealing when it came to the anatomy of the women musicians on stage and in the audience. I hasten to say that while I didn't watch this one either,  I do watch the news and it is supposedly newsworthy to see how much the women stars will put on display while the men continue to wear tuxedos the way they have for decades. 
 
How did this happen? I feel weird asking the question because I have to admit I really enjoy looking at beautiful women, but what has been happening in recent years seems demeaning rather than empowering for women. I think it's crazy that young women are heading off to college and university with dire warnings about the "rape culture" of campuses. This is 2014! It angers me that this week college publications in Canada have been pulled because of the crass objectification of women. It saddens me that musicians who were the young teen stars of a couple of years ago seem to have cheerfully moved into a new hyper-sexualized phase of their careers. It breaks my heart that young women are harassed to death online because of the double standard of sexual pressure and shame.
 
I don't think it's just because I'm old, but maybe it is. I can remember when "feminist" referred to someone, female or male, whose desire was equality between genders. A fair number of Christians chose to be feminists in those earlier days of the movement rather than accept patriarchal notions of male and female. They were often scorned for their convictions.  Feminist wasn't just an image projected on a screen behind scantily clad women.
 
Ah well. Anyone else perplexed?
 
 
454110136-honoree-beyonce-performs-onstage-during-the-2014-mtv
 

4 comments:

roger said...

We wonder why there is so much misogyny in society, but is it really that surprising when we are being bombarded daily by examples of women being objectified?

Unfortunately, some women aren't helping the cause. We were in NYC recently, and walking through Times Square in the afternoon, we came across several women who were nude, save for a g-string, and were covered in body paint. There were hordes of men scrambling to take photos(no, I was not one of them. I'm pretty sure my wife was watching me as much as the spectacle!). These women were waving at traffic, and I'm surprised there were no accidents. I'm pretty sure many women in the area must have been seething, as my wife was.

In examples such as this, and with young female "singers" such as Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus, rather than trying to be good role models for young girls, they are setting horrible examples.

Unknown said...

I've been thinking a lot about the word feminist lately. There are a host of websites now where young women can post why they don't need feminism. They take photos of themselves with posters with sayings such as "I don't need feminism because I'm not a victim" or "I don't need feminism because my three sons aren't rapists".

I haven't described myself as a feminist for quite some time. Not because I don't need feminism, but it hasn't seemed necessary. I thought we were beyond needing to shout it from the rooftops and wave placards. I was teased (mildly) for my ardent feminist stances during high school and college, but there was some respect there as well. I suppose I have grown complacent.

The last few years have raised my feminist antennae. We need feminism more now than ever. I'm not sure where the feminists are hiding these days, but I think we need to regroup. Patriarchy and chauvinism are sadly part of our daily reality. They may be harder to see than in past days, which is why feminism is still very important.

I think that these girls and women who obejectify themselves believe in some sense they are being powerful and I'm saddened by that.

I've made $10,000 less a year to do the same job as a man and been introduced to male co-workers as having been hired to "decorate the office" (I was the manager). That was only ten years ago. The movement needs to be revitalized.

Unknown said...

Sadly, I think women will always be objectified as sex objects, first and foremost, and our other talents, insights and abilities pushed down ... it really is men who need to learn to appreciate every aspect of a woman, not just her beauty or her ability or her willingness to "please" males.

David Mundy said...

Thanks to all of you. I'm sure you figured it was best for your marriage to admire the skyline Roger!

Sadly, your experiences still happen too often Jennifer.

I do think a revival of the word feminist is due.