Sunday, January 25, 2015

Inequality



Today in worship we will hear of how Jonah reluctantly preached repentance to the people of Nineveh. I will mention that our understanding of "wickedness" or sin goes beyond the traditional personal trangressions to include sexism, racism, inequality, and environmental degradation.

It happens that during this past week Oxfam issued the sobering contention that within two years one percent of the world's population will have as much wealth as the other ninety-nine percent. That is an extraordinary disparity between rich and poor, inequality on a mind-boggling scale.

Later in the week Archbishop Welby of the world Anglican communion spoke about  inequality during an interview with the New York Times.

Q. Why is income inequality a religious issue?
 
A. It tends to result in the development of overmighty areas within society, and at the same time of people who are excluded and forgotten. Therefore it becomes an issue about the nature of the value of the human being, the dignity of the human being, which is a religious issue. The human being for whom Christ died is of equal value, whoever they are.

Not everyone, including David Cameron  appreciated Welby's critique of wealth. Cameron likes to describe Britain as a Christian nation but apparently not if it involves following Jesus' teaching on wealth. Jesus doesn't say it is categorically bad. He does point to the perils of wealth including greed and disregard for the poor.

Of course most of us would prefer to view others as wealthy but not ourselves. Yet when I speak with folk at Inn from the Cold or respond to one of the individuals who comes seeking help in the church office I become very aware of my own prosperity and the struggles of so many.

I have written a reminder on the blotter in my study at the church:

I am wealthy
My wealth is not my own -- it is God's
If I horde my wealth, I am impoverished

Did you read the Oxfam statement?  Is it difficult to admit you're wealthy? Are we answering God's call to address inequality?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I did and was surprised by the 1% figure...hardly seems possible.
Loved the reminder that churches need to keep human dignity their core work.

Unknown said...

I have always been "blessed" with much more than I need - and I have always tried to share my wealth - but I don't advertise what I give ... it's the closet thing, you know...just do it and get on with life. I am sure there are many more in my bracket who do the same

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, my giving does not do much to change the inequality situation ... but if I can help someone, that is better than nothing.