Tuesday, September 26, 2017

And when I Pray, I Kneel

Image result for dallas cowboys take a knee
I like George Clooney. He has grown as an actor through the years and got involved in some unconventional film projects. He was smart enough to marry a brilliant woman, Amal,  after decades of hinting that he just wasn't the marrying kind. And he has committed his time, influence and money to worthwhile causes. is well known for his work to stop genocide in Sudan through Not On Our Watch,  and he has visited the area personally. So far, Apart from work in Darfur, the organization also operates in Burma and Zimbabwe. Work in Zimbabwe has included supporting UNICEF in its child protection and welfare services efforts for Zimbabwean refugee children.

Today Clooney offered up a prayer for the United States in the Daily Beast, a response to the controversial and profane remarks made by The Great Divider, Donald Trump. Trump stated that pro athletes "taking a knee" during the national anthem should be fired, a subject he should not have addressed at the best of times, let alone during the humanitarian crisis in the American territory of Puerto Rico.

The esteemed John Lewis, civil rights activist during the 60's, reminded everyone that folk responded to injustice by kneeling in prayer long before NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick began his quiet protest against what seemed to be a rash of unjustifiable shootings of people of colour.

Image result for john lewis mlk kneeling in prayer

Trump's inflammatory comments resulted in hundreds of athletes following suit before games by kneeling or absenting themselves from the field. The NFL response including Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys and a Trump supporter.

Then along came Clooney's prayer, and here it is:

I pray for my country.

I pray that we can find more that unites us than divides us.
I pray that our nation’s leaders want to do the same.
I pray that young children like Tamir Rice can feel safe in their own neighborhood.
I pray for all of our children.
I pray for our police and our first responders.

I pray for our men and women of the armed services.
I pray that dissent will always be protected in this great country.
I pray for a more perfect union.
And when I pray, I kneel.

Comments?

Take a look at today's Groundling blog http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2017/09/colonialism-climate-change.html

Image result for george clooney charitable contributions

2 comments:

roger said...

Right on, George. That's why I'm a fan of him and Matt Damon - they both are not afraid to speak out about politicians doing and saying ridiculous things.

David Mundy said...

They are wealthy enough not to worry about the repercussions of begin honest. It is refreshing. Damon's work with Water.org is exemplary.