Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Cohen and the Choir

Image result for new leonard cohen mural


A memorial tribute concert for Leonard Cohen will be held in Montreal on Nov. 6th titled Tower of Song: A memorial tribute to Leonard Cohen. It will mark the first anniversary of Cohen's death and the musicians will include  Elvis Costello, Lana Del Rey, Feist, k.d. lang, Philip Glass, The Lumineers, Damien Rice, Sting, and the late-singer’s son, Adam Cohen. Not too shabby a line-up. I hope lang will be singing Hallelujah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE
Image result for Congregation Shaar Hashomayim montreal choire

Adam commented “My father left me with a list of instructions before he passed: ‘Put me in a pine box next to my mother and father. Have a small memorial for close friends and family in Los Angeles…and if you want a public event do it in Montreal. I see this concert as a fulfillment of my duties to my father that we gather in Montreal to ring the bells that still can ring.”

When I snooped around online I couldn't figure out whether the cantor and choir from Jewish congregation Shaar Hashomayim will take part in this tribute concert. They are featured in one of Cohen's final song releases, You Want it Darker and there is a powerful atmospheric quality, a holiness, to their sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nmHymgM7Y

Image result for Congregation Shaar Hashomayim montreal choir

The website for the Montreal synagogue says this about the music of worship:

At Congregation Shaar Hashomayim, music is seen as an extremely powerful force in the act of prayer. The music dignifies and beautifies the prayers and imbues the liturgy with meaning and reverence. A special environment and ambience is created that is conducive to an elegant prayer experience.

Wouldn't you love to be at this concert?

1 comment:

roger said...

Yes, I would love to be at that concert. I wish I had seen Cohen live, but I'm a big fan and have several of his CD's. I find listening to his music relaxes me when I'm dealing with the drive to Toronto every day. I love You Want It Darker!