Sunday, July 07, 2019

Thoughts on Healing

Related image

Jesus Heals a Child

Circle _________, Gracious God,

keep protection near and danger afar.

Circle __________, Healing God,

keep hope within, keep despair without.

Circle ____________, Caring God,

keep light near, and darkness afar.

Circle __________, God,

keep peace within, and anxiety without.

May God, Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer

shield ___________on every side. Amen.
 
Caim Prayer


Yesterday someone I appreciated very much during life in a congregation I served contacted me asking about a prayer I had once shared during worship. It was for healing, although as he described the prayer it was more about God's active presence in our lives in times of challenge than of the "God's magic wand" variety. The details were vague enough that I wasn't sure which direction to look but I shared a "caim" or protection prayer I've used with people on many occasions through the decades.


It turned out that this morning our pastor (son Isaac) began a summer series with the first subject being healing. The passages from older and newer testaments were both about healing (Elijah heals a child, Jesus heals a child) and he took a thoughtful and open approach to what can be a difficult subject. Today charlatans can find a wide audience of vulnerable people through television and the internet, holding out promises of healing they can't keep.

At the same time, our Judeo-Christian tradition has assumed that God is actively healing in the world and that Jesus was a healer, changing people in body, mind and spirit. It's only recently that we've concluded that those people of faith who address healing are suspect and that medical science is the only true source of healing and curing.

The United Church has never taken a razzle-dazzle approach to healing and we encourage our members to avail themselves of medical avenues to restored health. Yet we have always prayed for the healing of our members as well. I've been part of a cluster of congregations which had regular services for healing and the excellent UCC resource called Celebrate God's Presence has outlines and specific prayers for healing which are theologically and biblically sound.

In every congregation I served, and now as a member of Trenton United, folk have sought prayer and given testimony to God's activity in their lives. It seems to me that we need to do more of this if we have any hope of Christ's family of faith continuing as a living presence in our communities.

Comments?


Christ our Lord,

long ago in Galilee

many who were sick and suffering

needed friends to bring them to your side.

Confident of your goodness,

we now bring to you

those who need your healing touch.

 We name before you

those who are ill in body:

whose illness is long, or painful,

or difficult to cure;

who suffer restless days and sleepless nights.

(names of particular individuals may be said aloud)

Jesus Christ, lover of all...

 
We name before you

those who are troubled in mind,

distressed by the past,

or dreading the future;

those who are trapped

and cast down by fear.

(names of particular individuals may be said aloud)
Jesus Christ, lover of all...

from a prayer in Celebrate God's Presence

4 comments:

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing this , David. I will be using it .

David Mundy said...

I received a similar response from reader Lynn, Judy. The Celebrate God's Presence resources are unfortunately "hidden in plain sight" in the UCC. Thanks.

Elizabeth David said...

I want to say thank you thank you thank you to Ancient (Great Matatan powerful Spell ) for everything so far. To everyone who doesn’t believe in spell, I was one of those ones at first. I wasn’t quite sure if I wanted to do this since I’ve tried others so-called spells casters and they did not work and was a waste of my time and money. However, when I read through the testimonials of other people at this website and after I talked Great Matatan powerful Spell who answered all my questions and was very nice about everything, I decided to give it a try. I figured it would be my last try to get my guy back. So my story is that I was at my office when the guy I am in love with told me that he wasn’t in love with me and never will be and that he didn’t want to speak or see me again, especially since he was talking to this other girl. When I talked to Great Matatan , he let me know which spells would be most appropriate for me and I chose the ones that was to get him back to me and stay with me and want to marry me.As soon as he started on the spells, my guy came back into my life! It was a miracle to me and I’m so thankful for that. Things have been going well, and pretty much according to what Great Matatan Spell said would happen. He’s always there when you need him and that’s also after the spell is done. I’m still waiting for the spells to completely manifest, but with all that has happened so far I’m very happy because given only four months ago in March, if you asked me or my friends if I would have anticipated how things were right now…no one would believe it! Great Matatan. contact is email address ( matatanspell@yahoo.com CALL/WHATS-APP:+233 20 926 0493 )YOU can visit his blog for more info. https://greatmatatan.blogspot.com/2019/10/true-powerful-spell-that-works-great.html

urgent loan said...

My name is Mrs.Aisha Mohamed, am a Citizen Of Qatar.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal loan or business loan?contact Dr James Eric Finance Home he help me with a loan of $42,000 some days ago after been scammed of $2,800 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $42,000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036