Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Change Islands and Creation Time

Image result for Change islands fogo map

Well, I'm back at my computer after a wonderful three-week vacation on Change Islands, which are adjacent to Fogo Island, Newfoundland. It is a wild and beautiful place and we have connections there which go back to the beginning of my ministry within the United Church of Canada, nearly forty years ago. I filched the map above from someone's vacation blog because they helpfully marked where Change Islands are. We also made day trips to Fogo. 

Thank you for reading the blog entries which I posted before my departure. Unfortunately I couldn't respond to some of your comments, even though I was able to read them on my phone, and I was unable to delete the pesky bogus ads which I can usually address immediately after they are left as comments. 

We have seen significant changes in outport Newfoundland over the past four decades, including the massive decline in church attendance just about everywhere, along with the degradation of the environment. 


























Ruth and the power of the sea

There were some hopeful signs here and there and I'll tell you about them in my next few blogs. This is Creation Time in the liturgical year and I made a point of peering through this lens during every day we were there, both in celebration of Creation and in awareness of our need for repentance and turning in a new direction in terms of Creation care. 

We walked trails every day we were there, regardless of weather, which was mostly very good. We made sure that we sat, pondered, exulted in the environment of which we were a small part. I certainly returned feeling a deep sense of gratitude and determination to do whatever I can to be a faithful Creation Care Christian. 


























Ruth and another glorious sunset

1 comment:

roger said...

Welcome back, and nice photos! Nfld is definitely on my list of places to visit, and I think it may have just moved up in that list. Nothing like getting away from it all and experiencing nature to feel connected to the planet. I'm sure my blood pressure goes way down. Just three more months of commuting to Toronto for work, and then I'll be trying to focus on spending more time outdoors, far from crowds and noise.