Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Discovering the Resistance Saints

Italy’s ‘resistance saints’ may offer hope for healing

I only recently heard of Italy's Resistance Saints, those who opposed the country's Fascist Party led by Mussolini and also resisted the Nazis who occupied parts of Italy during WW2. Next month marks the 76th anniversary of the massacre of 159 civilians by the German SS in two small villages. Sixteen German soldiers were killed by partisans in the area and the SS policy was to kill ten Italians for every one of their troops.

The first person to be killed was a Roman Catholic priest, Father Michele Rabino. While he was accused of leading the partisans, although research shows he did no more than give food, medicine, and spiritual support to those who needed it.

Traditions says that Father Rabino's last act before his execution was hiding a 7-year-old girl who had been separated from her parents. His final words were Sia Iodato Gesu Cristo -- "may Jesus Christ be praised."

When I hear stories such as these I wonder about my own convictions and courage as a Christian. Would I assist those in peril if it meant risking my safety? Would I "stand up, stand up for Jesus!" as the chorus from my childhood proclaimed? And would I praise Christ with my dying breath? I hope I never have to find out, and I hope that others won't either. 

Thoughts? 

1 comment:

Judy said...

I am with you , David - I hope I never have to fond out, either...those folk who were courageous in the face of evil during the Nazi regime were, indeed, heroes and Saints.