Sunday, October 25, 2020

Breathe!

 


Breathe on me, breath of God,

fill me with life anew,

that I may love what thou dost love,

and do what thou wouldst do.

We've been reminded that there are multiple pandemics unfolding on our planet in 2020. The most obvious is the virus called COVID-19, a term which didn't exist a year ago. At least 42 million people have contracted COVID, although the actual number may be twice that, or more. Those who are seriously ill have a variety of symptoms, including extreme difficulty breathing. As the numbers of infected people is on the rise again globally there is considerable concern that there aren't enough ventilators for those who will need them. 

During the past few months we've also been aware of the outcome of the climate crisis pandemic. In the Amazon region and in the western United States there have been massive wildfires consuming forested areas. These unprecedented fires darken the sky with smoke and force humans indoors because breathing is too difficult. 

These grim realities which are truly global lead to anxiety and fear which also make it difficult to breathe at times. 

I thought about all his when I saw the title of a book for children called Breathe: A Child's Guide to Ascension, Pentecost, and the Growing Time. It appears to be part of a series of books helping kids to understand the seasons of the Christian year, and Pentecost is a time when the Holy Spirit, the ruach or pneuma -breath-- enlivens us as people of faith. I don't have a clue about how this is addressed, but I like the idea. And I felt better just looking at the cover with it's illustration of a child blowing dandelion fluff into the breeze.

We probably know the expression "let's take a deep breath here!" an invitation to calm oneself in the midst of a challenging situation. The Holy Spirit invites us to take that deep, restorative, cleansing breath. Yes, it can be difficult to catch our breath at times, and our challenges are monumental. Prayer is a form of breathing, and we can pray and act for healing on this good, God-blessed Earth. 

Breathing in, I know I am breathing in.
Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.

As the in-breath grows deep,
The out-breath grows slow.

Breathing in makes me calm;
Breathing out brings me ease.

With the in-breath I smile;
With the out-breath I release all tension.

Breathing in I know I am alive;
Breathing out, in this present moment.

Breathing in, there is only this present moment.
Breathing out, it is a wonderful moment.

Breath Meditation -- Thich Nhat Hanh 

No comments: