Tuesday, December 01, 2020

The Gift of Giving Tuesday

 


"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth,

 where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal,

 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, 

where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal.

 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Jesus of Nazareth

I got everything I need, almost
I got everything I need, almost
But

Downchild Blues Band 

A turtle rescue and rehabilitation centre in our region. The shelter for women and children where Ruth was the outreach worker for nearly a decade. The United Church appeal for funds to address COVID-19 related food scarcity in developing countries. These three causes may seem to have nothing in common, except that they are the three we've decided to support today, which is Giving Tuesday. 

Giving Tuesday was started as a response to the wild excess of first Black Friday, then Cyber-Monday, where the theme is buy, buy, buy. Saturday was Buy Nothing Day while today is an encouragement to be generous. Isn't is tragic that even though last Thursday was Thanksgiving in the United States, with the emphasis on gratitude and generosity, today is akin to "greed naloxone" an antidote to the drug of consumption?

Of course, this is an arbitrary day for giving, but why not choose such an occasion?  All through this turbulent year we have chosen projects and charities which needed support because of the pandemic, in addition to our regular congregational giving and other causes.  

I would hasten to add that I don't seem myself as particularly virtuous. I can be selfish, and acquisitive, and regularly covet the next cool thing in outdoor gear or books. Ruth regularly convinces me that we don't need the latest kitchen gadget, a desire which is ironic, given my culinary skills.

We both believe, though, that giving isn't just a nice idea, it is as essential aspect of our Christian faith. And it helps us keep a perspective on what we actually treasure, and to realize that as Baby Boomers we have been blessed to live in this prosperous country during what has probably been the wealthiest cohort in human history. I get angry at the whining and complaining of the arrogantly comfortable and know in my heart that generosity in the antidote to selfishness. 

What do you think about Giving Tuesday? Is it gimmicky, or a good idea? Have you "upped your giving game" in 2020? 


4 comments:

Judy said...

Giving Tuesday is a good reminder to think of others in the midst of the usual Christmas extravaganza of spending (and we all get into that to some degree every year!). Mine was Gifts with Vision this year - India's child prostitutes, who are being rehabilitated, and camp supplies for Canadian UCC camps. (I have also recently given to Gleaners' Food Bank.... just because I am so very fortunate not to have to depend on that agency myself !)

David Mundy said...

Excellent choices Judy!

roger said...

I think Giving Tuesday is a good idea. I think we can all lose track of what's important in life, and start focusing on more or better "stuff". I'm as guilty as anyone, as I keep eyeing that beautiful Mazda MX-5 at the nearby dealership. But hey, I've haven't bought it....yet.

I have supported a few causes, and there's always room for improvement. One that I have done over the years is Camp Oochegeas(or just "Ooch"). It gives children with cancer a wonderful camping experience. One day I would like to actually be a volunteer at the camp. They have an annual run each April in Toronto - a 10 k - which draws thousands and goes from Yonge & Eglinton all the way down Yonge and ending at a park near Lakeshore & Bathurst. I've run it a few times, and the entry fee goes towards the charity.

David Mundy said...

The camp you mention and others for those who would once have been considered outside the norms for camping experiences are very worthy of our support. Thanks Roger.