Monday, July 12, 2021

Loving the Semi-Feral


                                                        Christ on the Mount of Olives -- Paul Gaugin

 On the two weekend mornings we took advantage of sunshine and low wind speeds to get out in our kayaks for what proved to be holy moments. We were enchanted and gratified by our sightings of wildlife, the visual encouragement that there is abundance of non-human creatures close at hand.

This morning I was cycling along the Belleville waterfront and up the Moira River where there was also a variety of feral and semi-feral creatures. Among them were the humans who sleep outdoors through these warmer months. I went past a spot on the water which is an encampment for several people, on and off and where i often smell wood smoke. I saw a couple of men asleep on benches, and evidence of someone else who had camped out beneath a bridge over the river. On my return trip I passed a firetruck, ambulance, and police vehicle with responders attending to a heavily bearded man on the ground -- an overdose? These stories of response seldom come to public attention. 

As I've offered before, we might assume that homelessness is a reality in big cities, not smaller ones. We hear the stories of large encampments and the confrontations between residents and authorities.Those who live and sleep rough in our community just aren't as visible but they are present as members of our community all through the year. There is faith-based shelter in Belleville which is helping to address the needs of both men and women with dignity. There is now a drop-in with laundry and shower facilities at Bridge St Church, the congregation I served before retirement. City council is attempting to address affordable and transitional housing. Sadly, there are citizens who don't want unhoused people on our streets who also grumble about these responses. 

I make an effort to say hello to those I pass, including the very few who are belligerent. Sometimes I stop to chat with those I see regularly, which I'm okay doing because I'm a sizable male. My experience is that the majority appreciate the conversation. I sometimes mention to those who have set up tents where they can get free meals and accommodation but they almost always say that they want their freedom. 

I keep telling myself that Jesus and his disciples lived rough at times and that the night of his arrest before crucifixion they were camped out in the Garden of Gethsemane in Jerusalem When I returned home I dusted off my Homeless Jesus sculpture given to me by the artist, Timothy Schmalz. His life-size versions are now in public places around the world, including at the Vatican. 

These semi-feral folk are not simply a problem to be dealt with, even though some individuals can be challenging. They are beloved children of God each new day. 


                                                        Homeless Jesus -- Timothy Schmalz



No comments: