Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Notre Dame Rising From the Ashes

 



The encompassing fire which nearly destroyed Notre Dame Cathedral two and half years ago closed an 850-year-old place of worship and a tourist destination for 13 million visitors each year. Last week it was announced that the massive edifice which had been on the brink of collapse has been stabilized and the actual work of restoration can begin. The French government wants the work to be completed by the time France hosts the Olympics in 2024 but this may be overly ambitious. 

                                                   Notre Dame Interior Scaffolding 

I have such mixed feelings about this effort even though I've been in Notre Dames several times and it is an architectural wonder. About 850 million euros, or 1,3 billion Canadian dollars have been pledged for the restoration and more donations are being solicited. Does this make sense in the midst of the many pressing needs on Earth, including saving the planet.? The  cutting of a thousand of mature oaks for new beams makes me queasy. 

 What does the Jesus who taught on hillsides and wasn't kindly disposed to religious edifces think about this? 

Of course my undergraduate degree was in art history so despite my misgivings I'll probably celebrate the eventual reopening. I never promised to be logically consistent!



No comments: