Saturday, September 17, 2022

Disarming the Clobber Passages


                                                       Amy-Jill Levine meets Pope Francis at the Vatican in 2019.

 I really appreciate the work of Dr. Amy-Jill Levine the Jewish scholar and writer who offers excellent insights into New Testament themes through her books. We explored her Sermon on the Mount book in a study through Trenton United and I learned a lot, as did they other participants. 

This week I read a piece written by Levine about what she describes as the "Clobber Passages" of the bible regarding homosexuality and LGBTQ2S persons. These are texts which are often pulled out of context to exclude and condemn I've included the link below because I can't possibly capture the thoughtfulness of the piece, but I've been thinking about the use and misuse of Clobber Passages.


                                                             Still from the classic film High Noon

In my teen years I spent time with fundamentalist and evangelical Christians who were loving and welcoming in many respects. Some of them, though, had their "clobber" scripture passages at the ready, as though they were about to lightning-draw six-guns from their holsters. Earlier on I used some of those passages myself but over time I was not comfortable with how they were using scripture. In my personal explorations and eventual theological training I came to realize that both their methodology and interpretation were often flawed. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is an invitation to abundant life, not a cudgel to subdue sinners. Yes,  I am a sinner, but I am loved and redeemed. 

Once again I am indebted to Professor Levine for her perspective. 

https://outreach.faith/2022/09/amy-jill-levine-how-to-read-the-bibles-clobber-passages-on-homosexuality/

2 comments:

Judy said...

This is a very interesting read - as would be the other articles referred to. Unfortunately, most church-going folk (including the mainline, "liberal" churches) are not interested in hearing another interpretation of, or deeper study of, scriptures.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Judy. I've been humbled through the years by how little scripture UCC folk have absorbed, but also grateful for those who've engaged in bible studies with openness and insight.