Sunday, April 02, 2023

Hosanna, Save, Please!


 Hosanna, heysanna, sanna, sanna

Hosanna, heysanna, hosannaHey J.C, J.CWon't you smile at me?Sanna, hosanna, hey superstar...

Hosanna from Jesus Christ Superstar -- Andrew Lloyd-Webber

Pope Francis emerged from his three-day hospital tune-up and quipped "I'm still alive!" How is that for a little Holy Week/Easter stand-up? The determined 86-year-old led a Palm/Passion Sunday service at the Vatican this morning, a remarkable personal statement on his part to the centrality of these eight days to the Christian drama. I am impressed. 

I imagine there were palm branches at the Vatican and I wonder if anyone shouted "Hosanna!"? During our recently concluded study of Entering the Passion of Jesus by Amy-Jill Levine we were reminded that the word Hosanna translates as "save, please", or "save, we pray". When I asked the group what we need to be saved from one wise elder offered, "myself, alot of the time." A thoughtful answer, and I would concur. There are just too many times when I'm self-absorbed or short-tempered and I do need to be delivered from myself. And as a species we desperately need to be saved from the "othering" we engage in which results in racial tensions and international conflict. "Save we pray" could be a phrase we speak when it comes to the steps we need to take to rescue the creatures of our planetary home. 

Is Jesus the Superstar who can lead us into a deeper consciousness which opens us to "save please" but with hope rather than despair. At the conclusion of this sombre week we enter our Easter promise, our Resurrection promise. Despite all the negative connotations of another phrase, "Jesus saves", thanks be to God. 





No comments: