Saturday, July 06, 2024

The Compound Interest of Goodness


This small paragraph from C.S. Lewis radically changed my life

It seems as though the dark is rising in so many ways in our world and it's a challenge not to lose hope, even though hope is a touchstone of our Christian faith. This quote CS Lewis, one of the foremost Christian apologists of the 20th century, who died the same day as JFK, struck a chord.

When I think about it, I also see goodness at every turn, and I need to both acknowledge and celebrate it. I love the notion of the "compound interest" of doing good. Investment advisors have the mantra of starting early to "pay yourself" for a more secure future. Lewis encourages to "pay it forward" in terms of kindness and generosity. The Way of Christ is radical in the best sense. 

A verse from a favourite hymn comes to mind as well:  

3 This is God's wondrous world:

O let me ne'er forget

that though the wrong seems oft so strong,

God is the ruler yet.

This is God's wondrous world:

why should my heart be sad?

Let voices sing, let the heavens ring:

God reigns, let earth be glad!









No comments: