We have watched two full seasons of the noir series called Sugar about a suave private detective played by Colin Farrell. John Sugar loves classic movies, he wears bespoke suits, and drives a 1966 Corvette Stingray. He's cool and he's an alien. You need to watch the series to find out more about that twist.
In the second season a villain who should be a good guy sneaks into a hospital to eliminate a drug dealer who is comatose and on a ventilator. These things happen in detective shows. As he moves in for the kill he intones words which were immediately familiar to me because I've used them often in funeral and memorial services. They are from John's gospel:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.
This is not a series containing much or anything else in the way of religion. How many viewers would have a clue they were Jesus in his farewell address to the disciples during the Last Supper? So, why these phrases, here? Who was the writer who decided to throw them into the scene? I imagine I'll never know.
What I do know is that religious and spiritual stuff finds its way into a fair amount of popular culture even though we live in an increasingly secular age. Some of it mocks religion or paints it in a negative light. There are also positive uses and some such as this one that are just perplexing. Here for a moment and then gone.
I recommend Sugar, as an entertaining watch, although I'll refrain from suggesting that it's out of this world.
No comments:
Post a Comment