Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The True Secret



A number of people have asked my about the book called The Secret and the film based on its premise. Have I heard about it or read the book? I saw it at the library the other day so I signed it out.

According to the author the Great Secret of Life is the law of attraction: "The law of attraction says like attracts like, so when you think a thought, you are also attracting like thoughts to you. " She goes on to offer that "your thoughts become things."

Would anyone argue with the idea that in life it helps to be positive, hopeful people? We really don't enjoy being around the Eyores of the world. Surely we "get it," though, that one of the reasons that the planet is in a mess is because we are so enamoured of "things." This book tells us that our thoughts will attract material wealth and while this is not the only promise it is a prominent one.

This is not Jesus' secret. Jesus promised abundant life but not material prosperity. In fact, while he didn't say that wealth is wrong, he did warn us to be wary of its effects. He cautioned that money can become our god, the lens through which we see the world, and that distorted image can change us for the worse. Some of the most positive people I have met don't have much in the bank. Some of the kindest and most open folk I have encountered live in countries where there is little evidence of Canadian-style affluence.

The apostle Paul also wrote of a secret: "in any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Phil. 4:12

Inner peace and contentment in all circumstances. This is a powerful message that doesn't have to be a secret.

No comments: