Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Penny for Your Thoughts



A penny for your thoughts? How about 500 billion pennies? Prime Minister Harper's throne speech held out the prospect of another cent knocked off the GST that we all feel is excessive.
I would be glad if all of the goods and services tax disappeared, except that I want the services it provides. Each cent reduced from the GST results in about 5 billion dollars in lost revenue for the federal government.

Five billion would go a long away toward addressing child poverty and affordable housing or a national day care system. How about a few billion toward refurbished infrastructure? I have begrudgingly become accustomed to that penny and so I'm fine if it stays and does some good in this country, especially for those who could use the help.

I'm proud of Canada and the social safety net we have created, even though there are some gaping holes. Mr. Harper is a Christian so surely he understands.


No comments: