Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Freedom to Choose


When I go to the polling station today I can vote in a referendum on Mixed Member Proportional representation in the provincial parliament. http://www.voteformmp.ca/?gclid=CJaF9OmthI8CFRGCGgodPWpQ2Q This system means I am still able vote for and elect my local candidate but I can also vote so that parties which currently have little or no representation in the legislature will have a voice. Germany and New Zealand have been using this system for a while now and it is working well. http://www.yourbigdecision.ca/en_ca/default.aspx
I have listened to those who are opposed and their concerns are well thought out. But there are advantages as well and I think I will vote in favour because our current system needs a shake-up.
This election campaign has not impressed me and the format seems tired.
I encourage everyone to get out and vote today. So much of the Christian message is about moving from bondage to freedom and I consider it a privilege to participate in choosing those who govern us.

No comments: