Friday, November 16, 2007

Receiving Images

Claudia Tammen Images


The photographer at Ghost Ranch, Claudia Tammen, spoke to us about changing the language she uses about what she does. We speak of "taking" photographs and "capturing" the moment and lots of other imagery which sounds a lot like plundering. She is attempting to use terms such as "receiving images" as a reminder that what happens in her art is more a gift than a hunting expedition. With my background in art history I do feel that there are parallels between the grace received in meaningful images and sounds and the grace received from the God of life.


Take a look at Claudia's work from our time at Ghost Ranch. Her email arrived this morning so this is as current as it gets. http://claudiatammen.smugmug.com/gallery/3807103#219779195

2 comments:

Laurie said...

After reading the Observer and your blog "Is It Working" my reply is I hope not.
Spending all that money on "Emerging Spirit" and then cancelling Justice programs doesn't make sense to me. I am in the age bracket they are trying to attract but I would rather see more action on Justice issues in Canada and around the world then to talk in an internet chat room. More action is needed to help the world and its people if we are to survive.
Enjoy you blogs.
Laurie

David Mundy said...

Thanks Laurie,

I appreciate your thoughts. In the same Observer we hear about the backlash to cut-backs for some of our justice programs, including care for the environment. I have such mixed feelings. I got another response via email from one of our folk in the target age bracket who really appreciates Wondercafe and other online discussions.

Ultimately we can't replace actual community or passion for justice with the cyberworld.

Blessings