Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Canada's "Sorry Day"

I sat in a line of traffic on the Waverly Bridge over highway 401, waiting to inch my way past the flag-waving group present to honour another fallen Canadian soldier as the funeral coach made its way to Toronto. He and more than 80 other Canadians have died for the well-being and freedom of children and others in Afghanistan.

As I waited I listened to the heartfelt apology of Prime Minister Harper on behalf of all Canadians to aboriginal children wronged in this country through most of the 20th century. What irony. In residential schools these innocent children were abused and their culture and language expunged. I feel that this solemn and sincere act of contrition is one of Harper's finest moments. The language of the apology was honest and plain and moving. There was a request for forgiveness and God's presence.

The intersection of these events moved me deeply, as did the tearful reflection of Aboriginal leaders in the moments following the apology. National Chief Phil Fontaine and other aboriginal leaders responded with great dignity and in a spirit of reconciliation. What grace.

Within minutes the Washington Post and the BBC reported on this historic event, reminding us of how significant both apology and forgiveness can be.

When the government of Australia apologized to its aboriginal peoples the moment was called Sorry Day. We are so sorry and we hope and pray that the Truth and Reconciliation process will be as honest and meaningful.

1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

I was sitting with others at the Saskatchewan Conference Office and then in my car for an hour and a half for the ride home. I was happy to have the time to listen to this important event on the CBC.

It is a day that will stand in my memory. I hope that it will be meaningful to many others, not just the Aboriginal people.