Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Just Beginning



On Monday morning our lovely daughter Jocelyn graduated from Queen's University and we were there. For some reason whatever caused my eyes to water at son Isaac's wedding was in the air in Kingston as well. The grads processed into Grant Hall to the skirl of bagpipes and it was a proud parent moment.

Albert Schultz, the actor who may be best known for his role in the TV drama Street Legal from years ago received an honorary doctorate. He was being recognized for his part in starting the Soul Pepper theatre group in Toronto, as well as other important community work.

He was the convocation speaker and a very good one. I told him afterward that his was the second-best convocation address I had ever heard. He wanted to know the best, which happened to be the late, great Oscar Peterson who played the piano rather than spoke at my wife, Ruth's, Queen's convocation. He told me he was happy to be next in line behind the jazz icon.

Dr. Schultz was witty and thoughtful and brief in his address, all of which was appreciated by the audience. He quoted from the American poet, Mary Oliver, who is one of our favourites.

When it's over, I want to say all my life

I was a bride married to amazement

I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it's over, I don't want to wonder

if I have made of my life something particular, and real.

I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,

or full of argument.

from the poem "When Death Comes"

Oliver has always been a deeply spiritual writer and is now a Christian. These are words to live by.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I have had the opportunity to meet Dr. Schultz several times as my sister worked for several years with Soul Pepper. I have always found him to be a very caring and gentle soul, which is what you no doubt witnessed.

Congratulations to Jocelyn! Remember, those tears, were tears of joy and all proud parents are entitled to shed them!:)

David Mundy said...

Thanks Nancy. Two graduations and a wedding under our belts, one grad to go. What a Spring!

Albert seemed like an open and engaging guy and it was a pleasant bonus in the day.

Lynnof60 said...

Let it be known that I changed Albert Schultz' diapers many years ago! I was a 'babysitter' for two summers for Ginny and Peter Schultz in Port Hope (Ginny remains a very good friend)
Good for Albert...would like to think that keeping his bottom dry started him on the right course. He has been instrumental in theatre and new young talent.
You and Ruth should take much pride in your children - they have "done good"!!!

David Mundy said...

Hi Lyun, Albert attended York U. but did not graduate. He acknowledged his mother in his remarks and commended her for patience. He pointed out that as a newly minted Doctor of Laws she finally had a son who was both a doctor and a lawyer.