Friday, May 22, 2009

Living as Locavores Cont'd


I wasn't at the Bowmanville ministerial meeting this week because I was conducting a funeral service. I did hear back through Rev. Cathy that the response to our Creation Care seminar was very positive. Folk liked just about everything, including the seminars. Many people attended the Living As Locavores presentation, offered twice. It gave people a chance to consider how to buy food locally as a way of caring for creation. I have certainly heard from you, as readers, about the places you frequent in search of tasty, reasonably priced and easily accessible food.

We also grow food in our backyard, even though our garden is small. We avoid the vegetables that require a lot of room, or constant sunlight in favour of things like salad greens. One of our daughters loves swiss chard, so we grow it.

There is an interesting article at Atlantic Monthly online that you might check out. It asks whether small farms can feed the world. Take a look.


Will you buy locally this year? Oh yes, I threw this blog in because I can time the releases.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I am buying locally as much as I can, although I am finding that I am now strategically planning my trips, as one has to go to different places to get different products which consumes gas.

I am off today to buy seeds for lettuce, I saw in a recent magazine (I have lots of time on my hands at the moment to read magazines) that one can grow lettuce in a container, which I am going to attempt to do. Because we have a walnut tree which is toxic to the soil, we cannot have a vegetable garden as such, so this year I am attempting to do container pots. Will let all know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

We are hoping to grow a few vegetables in pots as well. We don't have alot of space so we will have to be creative. We were thinking about tomatoes and peppers, but maybe I could try some lettice as well. The flavor of backyard vegs is always so much better.

David Mundy said...

Just to clarify - you are growing vegetables in pots, not growing pot.

I don't want you to get in trouble.

Nancy said...

Growing vegetables in containers/pots! Won't see us getting into trouble! :)