Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A War on Cars?


I didn't realize when I wrote this morning, that today was the beginning of London, Great Britain's Summer of Cycling. There are events and initiatives planned throughout the summer to encourage cyclists. London's mayor Boris Johnston is the "thumb's up"guy in the photo.

Yesterday Toronto City Council had a heated and protracted debate on converting one of the five lanes on Jarvis St. to a bicycle lane. Jarvis is a major north/south artery and it accomodates a large volume of vehicular traffice each day.

The opponents of this proposal bluster about the "war on cars" being conducted by the mayor and his supporters. What an interesting phrase! Is that like the war on terror?

I have no idea whether Jarvis St. would be a well-used bicycle route but I have heard the horror stories about trying to get from Point A to Point B on city streets. There are colourful phrases such as the "door prize" referring to cyclists smacked by opened car doors and the "right hook," when a motorist crunches a rider while making a right turn. They are apt but point out the dangers of choosing something other than an automobile to get around above ground.

In Montreal there are dedicated bicycle lanes and a new bike sharing program where bicycles can be picked up at a number of stations throughout the city. The cost is a modest five dollars a day. I can say that Toronto isn't the only tough spot for cyclists and pedestrians. Here in Bowmanville, population 30,000, the town is totally geared to cars. The crosswalks are not honoured by motorists and it can be downright scary to be on a bike.

Jesus never rode a bicycle, except in exotic curses, but he never rode in a car either. He hoofed it everywhere according to the gospels, except for the occasion he made a short trip on a donkey.

Being inventive about alternatives will involve growing pains, some mistakes, and hopefully a lot of advances. What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think designated lanes for bikes would be a better solution than people just taking their chances. We would certainly be healthier on the whole if alternatives could be found. Possibly more people would consider bicycles if the idea didn't involve the risk of injury.

Laura said...

I am a confirmed "hoofer" although can't claim it all to be environmentally driven. Living centrally, it is certainly convenient for us, but also just feel better arriving places after a walk. The environmental awareness of recent years just added to my conviction.Though these spring days, we seem to be covering more miles and I am thinking of hiring a donkey. I agree...cycling in town,is stressful, I can't imagine in the big cities without the likes of these designated lanes.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for these comments. I too walk and on occasion cycle. When I arrive at the hospital or a home visit and I have walked or ridden people look at me with bewilderment.It doesn't compute that I would forego the car. A donkey wouldn't accomodate my long legs!

Laura said...

I see our "local" elephants out for walks, David. Maybe they are for hire?

David Mundy said...

Definitely more realistic, although I'm not keen on heights.

roger said...

Yes, yes, yes we need more bike lanes. So many people using cars when they could be walking or cycling. As a self-proclaimed "environmentalist", I fully support anything that will reduce the pollution that we are creating. I think more people would cycle in downtown Toronto if they felt safer and had more designated bike lanes. If they want to call it a war on cars, fine! At least this would be a "peaceful" one.

Oh, and now you need to start a blog on George Bush's visit to Toronto, so I can go on a rant about that raving lunatic of a war criminal!!! Okay, I need to seek out a blood pressure cuff now(lol).