Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Abundant Life



In the Spring I feel a sense of urgency about getting outside, taking in all the signs of a re-emerging world. In the Fall there is a similar intensity, in reverse. I am aware of shortening daylight hours, the departure of birds, the dying of plant life. So I need to get out and take advantage of the days, especially before the time change curtails evening walks.

A week ago I was at Second Marsh the protected area south of the GM headquarters in Oshawa. I often mention the marsh as an impressive example of how creation can exhibit balance and diversity if we give it half a chance. Even though Canada's busiest highway roars not far away the marsh is filled with creatures. Along with various herons and egrets and hawks and owls and ducks there are a variety of mammals. We have seen deer and coyotes and beaver and mink. Second Marsh is also a staging area for monarch butterflies.

But during that walk a week ago I saw otters for the first time, a family of them.(click on photo for better view.) I have no idea if they were passing through or getting established. How did they get to the marsh with a significant urban centre close at hand?

We often speak of God's gift of abundant life in Christ as though it is restricted to humans. I do believe that abundance and diversity is God's plan for all creation.

No comments: