Thursday, October 01, 2009

Living Church


A colleague sent out an email a few weeks ago inviting all the United Church ministers in our region called a presbytery to gather for a discussion in four two-hour sessions over four Thursday afternoons. He suggested we read a book with the provocative title I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church! by Paul Nixon. Looking at the cover, the stance of the clergyperson, the title itself, and the exclamation mark offer a rather defiant approach rather than one of the alternatives, a passive "oh well, the world is changing" outlook.

United Churches in our area are hurting. Many have been contending with diminishing congregations, and a consumer mentality amongst some churchgoers -- what can you do for me when I want it? With the economic downturn this trend has become a crisis because congregational givings have dropped dramatically in a number of situations. Even some of our larger congregations are struggling and the outlook is rather gloomy.

Apparently later today more than a dozen of us with be gathering at the church of the guy who issued the invitation. I am encouraged that we aren't ready to be museum keepers or funeral directors for Christ's church.
Please keep us in your prayers. I'm not interested in a "woe is me" session, or group therapy. I would love it if the Holy Spirit works in and through us for something positive and life-giving, both for ourselves and our congregations. We are United Church but we could do with a pentecostal moment!

2 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

Oh, so true! I was actually writing words about energy, enthusiasm, and hope in abundance. In the Church, we seem to have a lack of all three. I do not want to lead a dying church; and I do feel like I am in that place. I am trying my best to hold onto my optimism and enthusiasm; but it sure can be difficult when one is surrounded by cynicism.

David Mundy said...

As if turns out, twenty ministers showed up from across the presbytery. There was a lot of hope expressed for the future of the church. There was also the admission that ministry can be isolating, especially in the smaller pastoral charges that are really struggling for survival. We'll see what the next three weeks hold.