Saturday, April 10, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?


I wonder if Liz and Michelle have been on the blower to one another now that Spring is here? I know already that I will hear from my mother about my disrespect for the Queen, but the two were astonishingly cosy last year when the Obama's visited Britain. You just don't touch the monarch! I figure it was because both announced that they would have vegetable gardens, at Buckingham Palace and the White House. My theory is that they were leaning in to trade gardening tips. It was part of the effort to encourage people to live more healthily and grow their own produce.

I notice that the First Lady has already been outside with children this year, encouraging them to garden.

Gardens are very biblical, as you know. The bible begins and ends in a garden and we heard last Sunday that Mary mistakes Jesus for a gardener on Easter morning. There are a gajillion agricultural references in both the older and newer testaments.

Do you plan to grow flowers and/or vegetables this year? We have heard that Deb will, and Ian has invited Susan to come and work in his yard! Our backyard plot is rather shaded so this year we will share a community garden plot with reader Brian. At home I have been stirring up the compost and filling up the rain barrels in anticipation. What about you?

6 comments:

roger said...

I will be using virtually every available inch of my very small backyard to grow vegetables. In particular, I like growing tomatoes - both cherry and regular. I end up with 6 foot tall plants with way too much tomatoes for me to eat, so end up giving many away, which I am quite happy to do. I would be more than happy to pass some along to anyone here!

I also like growing peppers and beans. Might add a few onions this time around.

IanD said...

Leave are cleared, pruning to commence shortly!

Nancy said...

Will work on getting the flower beds ready today, as many things are poking their heads up out of the ground. We have been fortunate with the flowers that are in our flower beds.

We have a large walnut tree in our back yard, the soil is toxic and so we cannot grow veggies in our back yard. Last year I attempted to grow tomatoes and lettuce in pots and had some success. I will do this again this year. Our daughter's school was selling plants as a fund raiser. There were two items we purchased. Strawberries and tomatoes that grow in a bag hanging on the side of a wall or fence. We will see how these do hanging on our fence. There are always new ways to solve the problems some of us have, whether it be shade, toxicity, small yards etc. I noticed at the bookstore the other day, a book on patio gardening for those who live in apartments. I'm glad to see more and more are attempting to grow some of their own food.

Deborah Laforet said...

We just need some rain and these 90km winds to go away! We are behind those in southeastern ON in the growing season, but we are all anxious to get started.

Susan said...

Living in apartment building with a west facing balcony with an overhang, I tried a tomato plant and some herbs last year with my flowering plants. The flowering plants and herbs didn't do too badly but I only got flowers on my tomato plant and no fruit. I will try planting tomatoes again this year, some finger carrots, multiplier onions and herbs. But Johnny - if you are giving away any regular tomatoes - I might take you up on your offer as I would dearly love to make chili sauce! As much as I want to be planting - I am going to wait until the end of the month before I start planting.

David Mundy said...

So Ian, what were you and I doing in the gym Saturday morning, when we had so much yard work to do.

Great to read about your inventiveness, wherever your garden may grow. We will pray for warmer weather in Saskatchewan!