Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Last Supper


Usually I am "ahead of the game" with my blogs so the early birds can take a peek first thing. Not today, but it gives me a chance to immediately respond to a discussion this morning on CBC radio. Apparently there is a new book in which a number of chefs share what they would eat for their last meal. The host of Metro Morning, Matt Galloway, asked the rest of the team what they would choose, which was, as one might expect, quite varied. Then the discussion was opened to the listening audience, through Twitter.
There was an immediate flood of responses, everything from KFC (gack) to complete menus including wine. A number of people, including Matt, insisted that it wasn't just the food, it was the setting. In his case it was around his large dining room table with family and friends.
We are in the season of Lent and in the last days before Easter we will gather for a commemorative meal, a Last Supper, on the evening of Maundy Thursday. There will be loaves of home-made bread and chalices of juice and the participants will find their way to the table. It is an attempt, and a fairly successful one, to create an intimacy which isn't usually present in the formalized celebration of communion which is necessary with large groups of people.
What would be on the menu for your "last supper?" Where would it take place? Do you have a memory of an intimate Last Supper?

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Interesting as one of the reporters stated, no broccoli, carrots or celery on the menu. I'm with Jill, a good homemade mac and cheese would be on my menu. I found it interesting how many also discussed their mother's dishes, comfort food, fond memories, home.
I have a fond memory of a "Last Supper", it was as at a United Church camp, on the beach by a fire in the summer. I remember how close to God I felt at that time.

IanD said...

Matt's take sounds about right.

Anonymous said...

I would eat cheese. Just cheese. How I miss cheese. You just wouldn't believe. Soemtimes at the grocery store I gaze at it and fantasize . . . so cheese.

David Mundy said...

I wondered if you heard the discussion on your commute Nancy.

I'm inclined to agree with your agreement Ian.

Didn't Jesus say "blessed are the cheesemakers Lori?" So you seem to be on the right track, with apologies to Monty Python.