Sunday, April 29, 2012

Good Shepherd, Good Sheep


Today is Good Shepherd Sunday, an annual recognition of Christ as shepherd and all things sheepish. I really appreciate the Shepherd/Sheep imagery of scripture even though we are moving away from our agricultural roots and our individualistic mindset makes us a little contemptuous of the notion of being the sheep of anyone's pasture.

One of my colleagues commented earlier in the week: "I don't want to be a sheep, they're so stupid!" Researchers have realized that while sheep have a herd/flock mentality it doesn't mean the are dumb. I've share in sermons that one farmer in Britain was puzzled by the escape of his sheep from a fenced field with a cattle grate which should have kept them "taking it on the lamb." A video camera helped them discover that the sheep had figured out how to roll across the grate and get up on the other side. This sounds rather clever to me.

I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent person, but my experience is that whether it is creative enterprises, or in musical expression, or in living out faith, being part of a flock is a good thing. I'm also humble enough, at least some of the time, to accept that having a Shepherd who seeks my highest good is better than me just wandering around in the wilderness.

Comments?

3 comments:

IanD said...

Ba-a-a-a-a-h.

Anonymous said...

True, being part of a flock is not such a ba-a-ah-ad thing.

Laura said...

Have a favourite image of The Good Shepherd carrying the one lost sheep home over his shoulders....comforting...I think.

Just returned from a most wonderful St P's choir concert that so meaningfully retired this Good Shepherd Sunday, (and the month of April) with their finale...
All in the April morning...
April airs were abroad;
The sheep with their little lambs
Pass'd me by on the road.

The sheep with their little lambs
Pass'd me by on the road;
All in an April evening
I thought on the Lamb of God....

Beautiful!