Saturday, April 13, 2013

Beyond Stereotypes and Suspicions


I am saddened, frustrated, sometimes angered by periodic reports of Islamist extremists who seem to be anti-West, anti-women, anti-science, anti-artistic expression. Let's be honest, they are thugs who masquerade as devout Muslims. They recruit those without hope, or those who mistake violent zealotry for religious passion. Two young Canadians were caught up in a terrorist attack recently and died in the attempt.

Then there are the reminders that the majority of Muslims in our midst are peaceable and hardworking and express their faith in entirely acceptable forms of devotion by any standards. I have said before that I admire a religion whose practitioners pause several times a day for prayer.

I am also aware that along the way Islam was blown off course from its leadership in science and the arts. In another time Muslims led the way in medicine and other disciplines. The arts flowered with encouragement rather than suspicion.

As of September of 2012 there is a new wing at the Louvre in Paris devoted to Islamic art. http://www.louvre.fr/en/departments/islamic-art The Louvre has long been one of the world's great art museums but has climbed to the top of the list because of this centre to display Islamic art.

Boasting 14,000 objects and admirably complemented by 3,500 works from the Musée des Arts Décoratifs — many of which are being exhibited for the first time — the department's collection reflects the wealth and breadth of artistic creation from Islamic lands.The history of the collections reflects both history in the broadest sense and the history of artistic taste.
At the very least this department challenges our stereotypes. It also invites us into a rich world of expression which was encouraged by a religion other than Christianity.
Une visite guidée des arts de l'Islam

1 comment:

IanD said...

Who hasn't jumped to conclusions about a group? I'd be lying if I said I hadn't. Part of this (personally speaking) is my very human tendency to compartmentalize my thinking of the sake of mental organization. The other part, at times, is just intellectual laziness, plain and simple.

Having said this, I think that having this fight with myself is the right thing to do. It doesn't benefit myself or anyone else (especially considering what I do for a living) to have a closed, lazy mind ... especially when it comes to other people!