Friday, June 28, 2013

DOMA

When the DOMA talk began earlier this week I confess I was a little confused. I didn't know the acronym but then realized this was all about the US Defense of Marriage Act which came into being during President Clinton's tenure. It was intended as a clear statement of support of the traditional marriage between a man and a woman. This week the Supreme Court struck down the act, one which Clinton no longer supports. Neither does President Obama.

I do support marriage, particularly as a covenantal relationship between two individuals who realize that God can strengthen that bond. Through the years I have come to accept that this can be between two people of the same gender. I have seen many marriages between a man and a woman which were wretched, unequal, in no way reflective of God s intention. "Defending" marriage does 't make a marriage healthy,  commitment does. Faith groups should do everything possible to supports couples on their relational journey, and that can include same-gender couples.

What are your thoughts on this?

3 comments:

roger said...

I support healthy, loving marriages - and whether it is same sex or not is irrelevant to me.

dmy said...

Ditto to Roger's comment

Judy said...

Amen!