Saturday, June 22, 2013

My Bad


Through the years I have been part of countless conversations about family squabbles, broken relationships, regrets over apologies not extended, or rifts not mended. When we talk about forgiveness and reconciliation, key aspects of God's love for us in Christ and our path as disciples, the hope is always for reciprocity, a two way street. Jesus invited a new way of dealing with conflict when he spoke about "turning the other cheek."

This week there was an unusual apology, obviously at attempt at contrition and the opportunity for reconciliation. A reckless driver contacted the Toronto Star asking for the chance to apologize to someone she had "done wrong" but who did not retaliate. She is obviously contrite.

“I would like to put in your paper an apology about a stupid and dangerous act that was orchestrated by none other than myself. “I dangerously cut a car off on the ramp from eastbound 401 to northbound 404. It was a stupid act of being in a hurry and almost creaming a poor guy coming on the on ramp to go north. I didn’t look properly. He had to do an amazing swerve and avoided an accident that would have tied up that ramp in rush hour. He did a stellar job and I did not.

“If there is a place in your paper you could put this I would appreciate it. I would like to say sorry to him in his black, small car and thank him for dealing with an idiot like me on the road. This happened at about 3:10 give or take, on Tuesday afternoon. (I was too busy driving like a wild woman to even notice the time.)“I was late to pick up my granddaughter and was totally engulfed in my own, obviously dangerous world. Thank you, sir for not reporting a maniac like me, and I’m sorry for causing you stress. Thank you for being a pro, unlike me.’’

What do you think of this woman's attempt? Have you ever felt the need to grovel for forgiveness? Do you accept God's grace readily? Are you holding on to grudges?

Time to catch up on my Groundling blog?
http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2013/06/amsterdam-impressive.html
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos for her. A sincere apology indeed. God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good. He forgives. Healing occurs when we forgive others and ourselves. :)

Judy said...

It takes a big person to admit to a wrong, especially when nobody would have identified and accused her otherwise - good on her!

Judy said...

PS - I love that puppy photo - I think it may have been my Tilliie's baby picture (I got her when she was 5 years old...)