Thursday, July 18, 2013

Stand Your Ground?


Thirty-nine years ago this summer my first gift to new girlfriend Ruth was a Stevie Wonder album -yes, an actual LP. It was Innervisions, arguably his most sophisticated, not to mention funky, and it included a number of hits, not the least of which was Golden Lady. Wonder is a sixty-three-year-old now, but back in the news because of his boycott of concerts in the state of Florida. He is protesting the ludicrous "stand your ground" law there, which emboldened George Zimmerman to shoot and kill an unarmed teenager named Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman's acquittal has resulted in widespread protest by those who are convinced that Zimmerman got off because he is white and Martin was black. Wonder made his announcement at a concert in Quebec City. Maybe he figured there would be less risk of being shot himself by making the statement here in Canada.

Many religious leaders, black, white, and Latino, have decried the chain of events which led to Martin's death and Zimmerman's acquittal. There is a chilling madness, it seems to me, that makes this sort of violence acceptable, and race does seem to have a part in it.

Have you been following the story in these lazy, hazy days of summer? Do you have any more of a clue as to why these stories unfold in what is a great country with so many fine people? I may ask my Americans relatives what they think when they visit this weekend.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Racism, for sure ... and lack of gun controls.

Laura said...

One of the few news stories I have tuned into in recent weeks. Admired his mother's deep faith in responding to the verdict. Wasn't aware of this Last Man Standing law prior to this case....And got to thinking what I'd do if someone was threatening myself or family...I guess I always thought if I had to do something drastic, I live in Canada...a jury would be reasonable, putting themselves in my shoes...but then again, I don't own a gun so the ability for fear to unfold like in the US cases is unlikely. Self defence would seemingly put the onus back on the perpetrator to prove reasonable and intelligent justification...fear doesn't promote clear thinking usually though....so tight gun restrictions are right on so many levels......wow...that is deep thinking for me on holiday time.....
On a hot summer day many years ago I remember buying my first 45 RPM, Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder. I like hearing of these celebs standing their ground.