Monday, August 05, 2013

Living Water


I read recently that in a ranking of 75 sounds from worst to best a baby's laughter and running water ranked at the top of the list. I would concur with both, with the best sound lately being our six-month-old grandson's chortling. We have enjoyed the latter this summer as well. Last week we were in the Perth area and stayed with friends whose farm is on the Mississippi River. We walked in to another spot aptly named The Chutes, most of a kilometre of unnavigable rapids on the river which are still roiling thanks to relatively high water levels this year. On the walk in we crossed a burbling stream which never seems to dry up. At our friends' place the rapids upstream have a different, but always audible hum.

This morning we drove with our kayaks north of Belleville a short distance and accessed the Moira River from highway 37. We had a lovely paddle upstream during which we stirred up a blue heron and a couple of kingfishers. Our meander was cut short by rapids which we approached as closely as possible. By some hydraulic mystery our boats were held in the current and we enjoyed the sight and the sound. Dragonflies and butterflies landed on the hull of my kayak as we savoured the moment. As I write I can hear the gentle bubbling of our neighbour's pond.

I have mentioned before that while the psalmist speaks of still waters, Jesus describes himself as living water, which I imagine as something which wells up with energy. This imagery of renewing water is ideal for God's gift to us in the life of faith.

Do you have favourite spots for living, energizing water? The bathroom doesn't count! Any other thoughts on water imagery?

6 comments:

Judy said...

Living water - energy and cleansing - life - giving... I see a sermon on our future !

Lots of water in the Quinte area - sounds as if you & Ruth have already discovered some of the best spots! Enjoy!

Nancy said...

I have two favourite spots. I have always wanted to verbalize how energized I feel after spending time by/in both bodies of water. I love both of your phrases: "living water, energy and cleansing-life-giving". We just spent time this past weekend at one of my favourite lakes. I must say that I really do not feel like I have a summer until I am at one of the two spots. We are fortunate enough to be heading next week to the second spot, maybe my favourite of the two, but that's because of the childhood memories it holds. I grew up on this body of water and we never knew how fortunate we were to have to river and lake in our backyard until we moved away.

David Mundy said...

Thanks to both of you. Our quest for watery places will continue Judy.

Nancy, one of our favorite spots in Northern Ontario is in the "neck of the woods" where you grew up. Chutes Provincial Park is a lovely spot along highway 17. If presbytery was in that area I would try to go early so I could sit by the rushing water for even a few minutes before the meeting. It almost made presbytery palatable. Almost.

Nancy said...

:) I spent many a Girl Guide camp at Chutes Provincial Park. That was the first place we went as a family when we purchased our camper. Far enough away to feel like we were away but close enough to go home if things fell apart with 5 kids!! :)

Judy said...

Have you discovered Lake-on-the-Mountain, near Glenora Ferry, in The County? Lovely spot, with a nice restaurant, too.

David Mundy said...

Yes, a surprising lake at the top of an escarpment and a lovely patio at the restaurant. What's not to like?!