Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Disaster





So let us not grow weary in doing what is right, for we will reap at harvest time, if we do not give up.
                                                                                                                              Galatians 6:9

This morning I grabbed a cheque on my way out the door in order to make a contribution to the relief effort for the Philippines. I am choosing to do so through the United Church of Canada because we work with partner churches in the Philippines and have confidence they do good work. We could have chosen the Red Cross, or World Vision, or other organizations, and with each one the money we contribute would be matched by the federal government. It's so refreshing to say that the feds have done a good thing in light of recent nonsense.

On the drive to the church I listened to a panel made up of those who are involved in organizations doing important work in situations of poverty and violence around the world. They conceded that the challenge after disasters is coordination of relief effort. One offered that despite the negative press at times, agencies and organizations are becoming more effective in coordinating efforts.

I think we have no idea of how chaotic it is to be on the ground in situations such as Haiti, and Syria, and now the Philippines. I have no doubt that there is misappropriation of funds and theft and miscommunication. This in no way absolves me of responsibility to act compassionately. I have accepted that some of what I choose to give may not reach its goal. God forbids my inaction on the basis of cynicism. Honestly, I need no motivation to be selfish, so I need to act and pray that what I contribute does its work.

You may not agree. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Judy said...

You have articulated every aspect of the "relief" situation beautifully - and I agree 100% - we cannot call ourselves followers of Christ if we ignore calls for assistance in situations like these. I have donate through the UCC web site - and will probably add to that in the weeks to come. . I, too, am glad to see the Canadian government doing something to aid.

IanD said...

I wonder how long it will take governments to finally realize that disasters of this size are both driven by climate change, and will only worsen as time goes by if they continue to sit on their hands.

Judy said...

Governments are driven by Big Business, and Big Business is still connected to fossil fuel production, in all its forms - until that changes, we are stuck with degenerating climate change.