Friday, January 24, 2014

Unifaith: Solidarity...for Eternity!



Last week son Isaac, also a United Church minister, texted me. Had I heard that there is a new union for United Church clergy  called Unifath (no) and did I realize that a family friend is the first president (no.) I go back a long way with the Rev. Robin Wardlaw who is a smart, fun-loving guy. We were at seminary together, then settled on adjacent pastoral charges in outport Newfoundland. Often Robin would stay with us, depending on the schedule for the ferry out to Fogo Island where he served four congregations -- I had five! When Robin married Rita I had the privilege of presiding at their wedding. We don't see each other often, but Robin has sustained his passion for justice, including fair labour practices.

I heard Robin on CBC radio this week and he spoke well about the challenges of clergy in the time in which we live. There are processes in the United Church to ensure fair treatment of clergy, but they can be uneven. And in a time when many congregations are struggling for survival church life can become toxic in a hurry, with the minister as the casualty when folk are looking to attach blame. http://www.unifaith.ca/index.html

My own experience in ministry has been very positive, by and large, and I have met many remarkable Christians through the Christian communities I have served, people who have shaped my own Christian walk. There have been difficult people as well, although mercifully few. Church-goers aren't always Christian in their thoughts, words, or deeds.  A handful have been "terrorists" making life miserable for me and the congregation. Because the good has outweighed the bad by such a large margin - only a handful of nasties in 34 years-- I have never been enthused by efforts to unionize. I'm not against it categorically -- yet my sense of calling as a Christian leader in a role of trust dampens my interest. I have found the same response in conversation with many colleagues.

We do need to feel that there is recourse for fair treatment in difficult and destructive circumstances. And honestly, even the best congregations generally aren't all that great at human resources stuff. I have now entered into what I assume is my last pastorate  before retirement --my sixth-- and I'm still waiting for someone to ask whether I have had the opportunity for three consecutive days off when there is a statutory holiday. Often congregants think this would be fair because others who are employed get them. It just doesn't happen for the majority of us.

What is your reaction to news of a clergy union? Yes, yes, I know that ministers can be trouble-makers too. Would you think less of your pastor if she or he was in a union? Do you think it might be healthier if we did all sign up?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think clergy in all congregations ought to establish a "wish list" with their personnel committees (including a "three days off" holiday, a few times a year) ; that has happened at BSUC in the past, and can happen again! I am not sure a union would be helpful (one more meeting to attend, David!)