Wednesday, October 21, 2015

God's Banquet

I cannot come to the banquet,
don't trouble me now.
I have married a wife; I have bought me a cow.
I have fields and commitments that cost a pretty sum.
Pray, hold me excused, I cannot come.

(chorus based on parable in Luke 14)


This past weekend our older daughter Jocelyn was married in a lovely ceremony before we went on to a fun reception. The food was great, our two-year-old grandson danced for hours, and not one of the speeches was cringe-worthy. 

 Jocelyn and Jeff met years ago while working as students for a caterer. Their reception was in the hall where they met as staff members, and the catering company was the one they worked for. In fact, the owners were guests at the wedding.

Everything went off without a hitch, but what if it hadn't? Sickness and accidents and breakups do happen, even though no one wants to entertain the thought. While J & J were wed a young man who was to be married the same day was languishing in jail after allegedly causing a fatal accident while under the influence of alcohol. He was returning home after his bachelor weekend.

A story about a failed wedding reception which became an act of generosity caught my attention on the weekend -- surprise, surprise! A California couple called off their wedding, and the MOTB (mother of the bride) decided that the $35,000 reception (yikes!) shouldn't go to waste. The family put out the word to homeless and poor people in the area that a free banquet was available for them. Grateful folk showed up for salmon and sirloin tip in what may have been the meal of a lifetime. It sounds wonderful, and the recipients were very grateful.

I love this story. Jesus liked a good meal, even when he was criticized for hanging out with the wrong crowd. He figured that they were alright in God's sight, and he used stories of those who were willing to come to a banquet while others made excuses as a way of illustrating God's extravagant love.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I am so glad the MOTB thought about the homeless !