Monday, August 20, 2018

Jesus Christ, Sissy

  Image result for justin trudeau shedding tears

 And when he drew near and saw the city, [Jesus] wept over it, saying,  
“Would that you, even you, had known on this day the things that make for peace! 
But now they are hidden from your eyes.

Luke 19:41-42 (NRSV)

Jesus began to weep.

John 11:35 (NRSV)

 I have been disappointed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on several fronts lately, but primarily because of what I consider the astounding misjudgment of using billions of taxpayers dollars to purchase an aging pipeline in British Columbia that no one else wants. 

This said, I'm shaking my head at the recent focus of the Trudeau haters on his freedom to shed tears on occasion. The list of his sins, according to his detractors includes misting up during formal apologies to Aboriginal peoples in this country, as well as other groups who have been wronged. He cried when acknowledging the death of musician Gord Downie and he's even been criticized for weeping at his father's funeral, derided as a sissy by some of these vile individuals who so courageously use social media to spew their nonsense.

It's interesting that this still happens given that the stoicism once expected of males is no longer the norm in Western society, by and large. We see public figures, including athletes and soldiers shed tears in emotional moments. Many of these individuals are physically strong and truly brave, yet when they speak from the heart they display emotion. 
  Image result for jesus wept over lazarus

I suppose I am a disciple of a sissy, if tears are the measure. Jesus wept over Jerusalem as he pondered the city's turmoil, and perhaps his own with a foreknowledge of the suffering before him. And when he came upon the mourners of his friend Lazarus, including Lazarus' sisters, Mary and Martha, he shed tears. The shortest verse in the King James Version of the bible is "Jesus wept," although it is translated a little differently in more recent versions and paraphrases.

Through the years I have become more willing to express emotion through tears. Sometimes it catches me off guard and I have limited control. This happened in worship services I conducted, on occasions such as saying goodbye to teens who were heading off to college and university. I did notice that a handful of people who would chuckle affectionately about women colleagues who they described as "having their bladders behind their eyes" were critical if I showed any emotional vulnerability. Some of them were women, which shows that we still have a way to go in sorting out the stereotypes of what we consider male or female behaviour. 

You may recall that President Obama shed tears on occasion, often out of compassion for those who had experienced great loss. The current resident of the White House never does, which reflects his disturbing lack of empathy and concern for anyone other than himself. This is a failing, not a strength.

Back to Jesus. If God has chosen to dwell among us -- to me the upside down power of the gospel -- with all of joys and sorrows then we must acknowledge the "cry for happy" and "cry for sad" realities of human existence. So dab away Justin, you're in good company.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Agreed, on all counts, David !

roger said...

I don't take issue with leaders showing emotion, although if they were rolling around on the floor bawling, that might be a little concerning. I just want those tears to be genuine and sincere.

I remember watching then RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson, when he made the formal apology to women in the Force who have been sexually harassed, and the "tears" he shed on camera. It seemed to come on suddenly, and I have a feeling they were crocodile tears. Maybe I was wrong, but that was my take on it.

The only tears I can imagine Trump would shed would be anything that would have a negative financial impact on him. This guy scares me.