Monday, September 10, 2018

What Brand of Christian are You?




 Image result for generous orthodoxy brian mclaren


Are you a liberal Christian, or a conservative Christian? Do you consider yourself evangelical, small e or large E? Are you a Cradle Christian, always a part of the church? The old categories aren't really working anymore, so Pew Research Center has come up with a new typology, at least for the United States.

Personally, I like the "generous Orthodoxy" term coined by Brian McLaren years ago. He claims he is "Post/protestant, liberal/conservative, mystical/poetic, biblical, charismatic/contemplative, ... emergent, unfinished Christian." Tbis works for me. Here is what Pew suggests. What do you think?



 The Religious Typology: The highly religious, nonreligious and in between

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is an interesting spectrum... I think I fall in the "Less Religious" category - but I still like going to church....especially my present church, where the focus has shifted from past traditionalism to more modern emphases on social justice and interpretations of scripture based on scholarship, and not so judgmental at the personal level as much...that may or may not be a good thing....

Bagel Tech said...

Diversely devout... I like that terminology. I think if encompasses July fiercely liberal views compounded with my conservative Jewish upbringing, and my love for the church and G-d.

I'm not so much into psychics.... Physics... Now that I can dig my teeth into. :)